''Current to end 2020'
The most total votes for Melbourne players in the Brownlow Medal. The award has been conducted under a variety of voting systems.
1924-1930 - One vote per game (Counted as three votes)
1931-1941 and 1946-1975 - 3, 2, 1 votes
1942-1945 - No award due to World War II
1976-1977 - Each umpire awarded votes
1978-present - 3, 2, 1 votes
- Riley played for both Collingwood and Melbourne in 1934
- Catton played for both Fitzroy and Melbourne in 1938
- Reiffel played for both Melbourne and South Melbourne in 1939
- Matthews played for Melbourne and South Melbourne in 1964
- Smith played for Essendon and Melbourne in 1975
- Wells played for Melbourne and Carlton in 1980