The following men have captained and vice-captained Melbourne.
* Denotes a captain/coach
(Incomplete. All multiple VC's or leadership groups from 2002-2019)
- Keith Truscott was named as stand-in captain in Round 2, 1942 despite captain/coach Percy Beames also playing
- Gerard Healy and Peter Giles were named as acting captain/vice-captain in 1985 due to long-term injuries.
- Cameron Bruce and James McDonald were named as co-caretaker captains after David Neitz retired in 2008.
- Nathan Jones was made co-captain on 09/05/2013 when Jack Grimes was injured
- Colin Garland was made vice-captain on 09/05/2013 when Nathan Jones was temporarily elevated to co-captain.
Some sources say Coutie was vice captain in 1905. May have been later in season.
Some sources say Brereton was "second in command" in 1915.
Argus - 16/05/1898
Herald - 05/05/1900
Herald - 21/06/1907
Examiner - 07/09/1910
Herald - 21/04/1911
Football Record 1923
Football Record 1933
Argus - 17/02/1944
melbournefc.com.au - 09/05/2013